Stick seeds, or Moringa seeds, also known as bench seeds are seeds derived from the Drumstick tree, also known as Moringa tree. This tree is native to African and Asian parts of the world, particularly in northern India. Stick seeds are tender when they are still fresh and raw, but they become resistant as small beans when dried. They appear gray-white with a structure that resembles a wing. They can be steamed, boiled and roasted.
A single serving of drumstick seeds (100 grams) contains:
- 37 calories
- 5 grams of carbohydrates
- 2 grams of protein
- 3 grams of fiber and
- 1 gram of fat
- In one cup, it also contains 30 milligrams of calcium, 460 milligrams of potassium, 141 milligrams of vitamin C and 74 international units of vitamin A.
- Each represents 3 percent of the daily calcium requirement, 13 percent of daily potassium intake and 235 percent of daily vitamin C intake.
11 Healthy Benefits That Will Surprise You:
Drumstick seeds provide ample health benefits, and here we offer the list of health benefits of drumstick seeds:
1. Promote the Dream:
- If you are looking for a natural way to improve your sleep at night, it is recommended to infuse moringa leaves in hot water for about 15 minutes and take a sip before falling asleep.
- It will help you fall asleep peacefully and get all your energy the next morning.
2. Abundant in Fiber:
- Stick seeds contain rich fiber, and that is healthy for your digestive tract.
- The content of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients provides important health benefits, such as being a natural laxative and facilitating bowel movement.
- Regular and moderate consumption of drumstick seeds prevents constipation and other digestive problems such as bloating and flatulence.
3. Maintains the Normal Blood Sugar Level:
- There are many health benefits of thigh seeds.
- It has also been believed that regular and moderate consumption of drumstick seeds reduces the level of blood sugar and controls diabetes.
- This is due to the low glycemic index present in moringa seeds. Previous studies have confirmed that the consumption of drumstick seeds reduces the level of blood glucose, sugar and protein in the urine of diabetic patients.
4. Good Source of Iron:
- One hundred grams of drumstick seeds they serve have triple the iron found in spinach.
- Increasing the amount of iron will improve blood circulation and function to transport oxygen to your organs.
5. Relieves Joint Pain and Promote Bone Health:
- Drumstick seeds are an incredible source of calcium and are a great relief of joint pain for those suffering from arthritis.
- The rich presence of antioxidants also contributes to the natural anti-inflammatory profile it exhibits.
- The consumption of drumstick seeds is also profoundly beneficial for our bones, since it increases their strength and therefore reduces the possibility of developing osteoporosis, where bones weaken and are prone to breakage.
- The high levels of calcium and potassium in the thigh seeds are the reason behind this beneficial effect.
6. Natural Killer of Cancer Cells:
- Moringa seeds are also recognized as a natural anticancer.
- They have the potential to stop the growth and development of cancer cells.
7. Rich Source of Antioxidants:
- Antioxidants are widely known for helping to get rid of toxic chemicals in our system, known as free radicals.
- The elimination of overwhelming free radicals will help prevent the onset of chronic diseases.
- So far, drumstick seeds are filled with at least 30 types of antioxidants.
8. Improve Skin Health:
- Stick seeds are composed of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties.
- A combination of this mixture provides a beneficial effect for the skin.
- The oil extracted from the seeds can be used as a moisturizer or a treatment for skin rashes and sunburn.
9. Treat Skin Inflammation:
- Stick seeds can be useful for treating swollen and inflamed areas of the body due to antioxidant components.
- The oil can be extracted and applied in the inflamed area and is believed to be equally effective compared to the use of pharmacological anti-inflammatories.
10. Maintains Liver Function:
- The liver is a vital organ in our body that has an important job for detoxification, metabolism, protein manufacturing, blood sugar regulation and bile production.
- Therefore, it is equally important to protect the organ from damage, and the consumption of drumstick seeds seems an appropriate option for that.
- It is believed to have a hepatoprotective effect on the liver, especially in the treatment of liver damage caused by anti-tuberculosis medications.
11. Fight Against Malnutrition:
- With all the beneficial nutrients packed in a single serving of drumstick seeds, it shouldn’t surprise to know that it has the potential to combat malnutrition.
- The vitamins, minerals and amino acids it contains make it valuable in areas where malnutrition is still commonly found.
Therefore, there are several health benefits of drumstick seeds.
Precautions of Consuming Stick Seeds:
- Eating too many drumstick seeds can have bad health consequences.
- Consuming a fiber load can be harmful to the stomach, as it can interfere with the process of nutrient absorption by the intestines.
- This can lead to a condition known as malabsorption.
- In addition, consuming excess fiber and, at the same time, not drinking enough water can lead to constipation (instead of preventing it).
- Another health warning that you should keep in mind, especially if you live with diabetes, is hypoglycemia.
- If you receive anti-diabetic medications and consume drumstick seeds more than you should, your glucose level may drop to a low level to the point where your brain cannot receive more glucose and this condition is life-threatening.
- Perhaps, in this case, it is better to check first with your doctor before getting into the habit of eating thigh seeds.
- In addition, drumstick seeds are not something we usually consume in the urban environment, especially if you live in a city.
- Therefore, it is important to know the risk of experiencing allergy to something you had never used before.
- Symptoms such as wheezing, cough, shortness of breath and chest tightness are signs of an allergic reaction, and experiencing one of them requires immediate medical attention.