The black olives is one of the best known fruits for its health benefits. However, most people are more familiar with the health benefits of green olives, but many of them have no idea of the existence of black olives . However, do you know that both green and black olives come from the same varieties?
What is the Difference Between Black and Green Olives?
- Here comes the most frequent question of those who ask about black and green olives and what makes them so different.
- Well, as already said, both black and green olives come from the same varieties.
- The only thing that makes them different is when they were chosen. Green olives were picked just before ripening or raw, while black olive were picked ripe.
- The ripe olive goes from green to black and that’s why it is called black olive.
Nutritional Values of Black Olive:
- The next question is about their nutritional values, if the nutrition contained in the black olive is greater or less than the green olive.
- The fact is that both black and green olives contain the same nutritional values that are rich in vitamin C, antioxidants such as flavonoids and polyphenols, several essential minerals such as iron and copper. However, apart from color, texture and taste they are also very different. The green olive has a firmer texture and the taste is bitter when compared to black olive.
15 Benefits of Green Olives That You Should Know:
For more information on the health benefits of eating black olives, the following list will give you more information on whether you prefer to choose green or black olive, although they contain the same nutritional values.
1. Promotes Eye Health:
- The consumption of black olive can satisfy the daily intake of vitamin A.
- It is known that one of the benefits of vitamin A is to promote health and improve vision.
2. Excellent Source of Antioxidants:
- As mentioned earlier, eating black olive could provide you with some powerful antioxidants such as polyphenols and flavonoids.
- Not only that, black olive are also rich in vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin A.
3. Contains Essential Minerals:
- Black olives are not only rich in vitamins and antioxidants, but also in essential minerals such as copper and iron.
- You must have known that the combination of these two minerals are promoting proper body metabolism.
4. Optimizes the Production of Red Blood Cells:
- Iron is essential for the production of red blood cells.
- The main role of red blood cells is the distribution of oxygen and nutrients to cells throughout the body.
- Lack of iron could lead to low red blood cell production and the effect such as nausea, headache, migraine and anemia could occur.
5. Promotes a Healthy Intestine:
- Olives are rich in fiber and one of the health benefits of fiber is to promote intestinal health.
- Not only that, the vitamin E it contains in olives is also excellent for digestive health.
6. Excellent Source of Vitamin E:
- What do you know about the health benefits of vitamin E?
- This type of vitamin is one of the most potent antioxidants and also responsible for the health of your skin, healthy intestine and reducing the risk of cancer cell development.
7. Reduce the Risk of Colon Cancer:
- One more thing about vitamin E that you should know, when vitamin E is combined with monounsaturated fat, they could fight and reduce the risk of colon cancer.
8. Good for Bones and Connective Tissue:
- Some studies have found that eating black olive could replace ibuprofen’s function to relieve some joint or connective tissue pain.
- It means that black olives can also be analgesic.
9. Natural Skin Treatment:
- The combination of vitamin C and vitamin E found in black olives are the reasons why consuming this fruit regularly is considered as a natural skin treatment.
- Vitamin E will increase collagen production, while vitamin E will ensure optimal regeneration of skin cells.
10. Contains Anti-Inflammatory Properties:
- Some studies have shown that black olives contain some active compounds that could inhibit the growth of specific enzymes that could cause inflammation.
11. Good for the Heart:
- The root of the heart problem is inflammation and as mentioned in the previous point, black olives contain some potent anti-inflammatory properties that could prevent some cardiovascular diseases.
12. Reduce High Blood Pressure:
- Once your heart is protected, reducing the symptoms of high blood pressure is a piece of cake.
- However, you have to be very careful with canned black olives because they contain more sodium that could compromise your cardiovascular health.
- Therefore, it is important to always read labels, since preservative compounds can be dangerous to health.
13. Control the Cholesterol Level:
- Although black olives contain fats, but it is still the healthy monounsaturated fat that could help control your cholesterol level.
- That is why black olives are among the healthy foods that reduce the recommended cholesterol level for those who want to have a healthy cholesterol level.
14. Regulates Blood Sugar Level:
- Not only is it good for the heart and cholesterol, eating black olives is also good for some patients who have been diagnosed with certain types of diabetes.
- In other words, consuming it regularly could help regulate blood sugar.
15. Promotes Healthy Hair:
- Not only is it good for the skin, but the consumption of black olives is also good for the hair.
- It is common to happen during childhood.
- If you have children with thin hair problems, simply encourage them to consume black olives to get thick and healthy hair.
Precautions When Eating Black Olives:
The most important thing to know after choosing the black olives that are added to your daily diet instead of the green one are the precautions or side effects that may occur. The following list is something you should not take for granted.
- Although the allergy to olives is super real.
- If you are allergic to green olives and then you can make sure that you are also allergic to black olives, so it is mandatory to avoid it.
- It is not easy to find fresh olives and people depend on canned olives.
- That’s why you should choose canned olives not based on your favorite brands, but you should read the ingredients contained in canned olives because some brands contain a high sodium content that is bad for those who have cardiovascular problems.
- Do you know that the health benefits of olives have been well known since ancient times? That is why the number of people who choose olive oil is increasing day by day because they take care of their health and the incredible nutritional values and the list of health benefits of eating black olives as mentioned above are the reasons why that people love this fruit so much.