The health benefits of wheat germ are one of the things that begin to attract people’s attention to the whole grain alternative and why this wheat germ is supposed to be in the daily diet. The number of people who care about a healthy life is increasing progressively today. So, one of their concerns is what they should put on their plates. It means that a greater understanding of what foods are the best they can consume and what foods will affect them.
What is Wheat Germ?
Some of you may be wondering what wheat germ is and what are the differences of wheat germ with whole grains or with whole wheat. Whole grains as one of the healthiest foods in the world. Without a doubt, it becomes your concern if wheat germ will be carried out as the alternative of whole grains if the benefits you will get is the same, more or less. Whole grains contain the whole portions of grain including the outer layer well known as the bran, the endosperm or the middle portion and the last one is the germ or the short germination which is also the richest part in nutrients compared to the two other parts. That is our germ. So how about whole wheat? Well, for your information not all whole grains are whole wheat since whole wheat is actually one of the types of whole grains; wheat berries and bulgur are also considered whole grains. In other words, apart from whole wheat, nowadays you can buy the germ separately from whole wheat.
Serving size of wheat germ: 115 gr
- Carbohydrates 59.6 gr – 20% – Saturated fats 1.9 gr – 10% – 1.9 gr – 10% – 2.5 gr – 2.5 gr – 2.5 gr – 3.5 gr
- Dietary fiber 15.2 gr – 61% – Monounsaturated fat 1.6 gr
- Protein 26.6 gr – 53% – Polyunsaturated fat 6.9 gr
- Water 12.8 gr Omega 3 Fatty acid 831 mg
- Ash 4.8 gr Omega 6 Fatty acid 6981 mg
- Thiamine 2.2 mg – 144% Calcium 44.9 mg – 4%.
- Riboflavin 0.6 mg – 34% Iron 7.2 mg – 40%.
- Niacin 7.8 mg – 39% Magnesium 275 mg – 69%.
- Vitamin B6 1.5 mg – 75% Phosphorus 968 mg – 97%.
- Folate 323 mcg – 81% Potassium 1026 mg – 29% Potassium
- Pantothenic Acid 2.6 mg – 26% Sodium 13.8 mg – 1%
- Zinc 14.1 mg – 94%.
- Copper 0.9 mg – 46%.
- Manganese 15.3 mg – 765%.
- Selenium 91.1 mg – 130%.
27 Versatile Benefits of Wheat Germ:
To find out if the benefits you will get from consuming wheat germ are the same or not as when consuming whole wheat, the list of health benefits of wheat germ shown below will give you an idea that this type of food is likely It could be the solution of your healthy life that you have been looking for.
1. Natural Source of Protein:
- Proteins are one of the essential properties for the human body.
- Proteins are basic components of body tissues and cells, so their function is prominent.
- When it comes to serving, the protein contained in wheat germ is relatively low, but if consumed on a regular basis and then you will get all the benefits of protein, while you will feel more alive.
2. Strengthens the immune system:
- One of the functions of the proteins found in wheat germ is to produce antibodies.
- Antibodies are necessary to fight certain germs, infections and diseases.
- That is why wheat germ is a great boost of immunity.
- In addition, wheat germ also contains other types of proteins called hydrolysates that help stimulate the activity of antioxidants to function optimally within the immune system.
3. Help Fight Cancer:
- You’ve probably heard a lot about it, while one of the effects of free radicals is the increased risk of cancer cell development.
- That is why it is important to make sure that you have enough antioxidants in your body to fight cancer.
- Fortunately, wheat germ is a super healthy food that is recommended to consume daily.
- In other words, just by consuming wheat germ you can be sure that your body is getting enough antioxidants to fight cancer on a daily basis.
4. Rich in Fiber:
- There are many foods that are rich in fiber and wheat germ is one of the first on the list.
- On the other hand, some foods are not recommended to be consumed on a regular basis, but wheat germ is better affected if consumed on a daily basis.
- Because fiber is essential for the human body and is required in relatively high amounts, obtaining it from wheat germ could ensure that you have obtained your daily fiber intake.
5. Good for the Digestive System:
- The best thing you can do to make sure your digestive system is working properly is to consume the right amount of fiber.
- Although fiber is a compound that cannot be absorbed by the body but its existence could optimize the absorption of nutrients within the digestive system. How?
- The fiber will make sure to eliminate all excessive and unnecessary properties inside the intestine and will provide enough space for the nutrients that are really prominent for the body’s metabolism to be absorbed optimally.
6. Prevents Constipation:
- The health benefits of wheat germ
- One of the benefits that you could get when your digestive system is functioning optimally is that you could say goodbye to constipation forever.
- Constipation is probably not a chronic disease, but it could still make you feel so uncomfortable.
- However, if you are suffering in the long term some side effects may occur and some chronic diseases may appear as well as colon cancer.
- Therefore, it is better to prevent it if possible.
7. Beneficial for Cardiovascular Health:
- It is not just a myth or an assumption, but whole wheat is great in preventing some chronic diseases such as heart disease.
- The best part of whole wheat is the germ, so consuming it is so beneficial for your cardiovascular health and prevents some heart diseases such as coronary heart disease that could cause a heart attack or stroke.
- In addition, it is also rich in fiber, which is also good for the heart.
8. Reduce Cholesterol Level:
- There are three reasons behind the fact that wheat germ is effective in reducing cholesterol level.
- In the first place it is so rich in fiber that surely the wheat germ is able to bind LDL or also known as bad cholesterol so HDL or good cholesterol could work optimally.
- Secondly, wheat germ also contains Omega 3 fatty acid that is essentially good for the heart and the third reason is that wheat germ contains phytosterols that is also well known for being effective in reducing cholesterol levels.
9. Recommended Food for Pregnant Women:
- There are two reasons why wheat germ is good for pregnant women.
- First, it is so rich in folic acid that it is able to prevent birth defects and the second folic acid is also able to reduce the level of homocysteine that could increase the risk of gestational diabetes during pregnancy.
- A healthy diet is important during pregnancy, especially in the first trimester.
10. Prevents Congenital Problems:
- The number of cases of congenital defects can be significantly reduced by consuming enough folate or folic acid.
- This compound is essential during the first trimester of pregnancy because during those three months, the development of important parts such as the brain and the nervous system.
- The folic acid in wheat germ could ensure that a pregnant mother receives all the nutrients she needs for the fetus.
11. Contains Omega 3 Fatty Acid:
- Omega 3 fatty acids are widely associated with fish oil.
- Unfortunately, not all people can consume shellfish due to some factors, mostly allergic reasons, and those people should miss all the wonderful things about this compound.
- Well, now you don’t have to worry anymore, even if you’re allergic to shellfish, you could still meet your daily intake of omega 3 fatty acids through wheat germ.
12. Rich in Minerals
- What minerals could you do for your body? The answer is a lot.
- Wheat germ contains some minerals such as calcium, iron, phosphorus and relatively high in potassium.
- Potassium is the secret of a healthy heart because it binds to the excessive amount of sodium in the bloodstream and reduces the risk of heart disease.
13. Promote Cell Metabolism:
- The vitamin B complex contained in wheat germ could promote cellular metabolism.
- Vitamins such as niacin, thiamine and folate are very vital for cell metabolism.
- These vitamins will optimize the transformation of certain compounds such as lipids, glucose and carbohydrates into something beneficial for cells, especially energy.
Wheat Germ as a Beauty Treatment:
14. It Has Anti-Aging Properties
- When it comes to anti-aging properties, one cannot rely solely on a compound, but a food that is considered to have anti-aging properties are those that are packed with vitamins, minerals and, of course, antioxidants.
- Speaking of which, wheat germ is a nutrient-rich food that has anti-aging properties.
- Consuming it regularly, even better if you could consume it daily, will make you look a little younger for longer.
15. Rich in Vitamin E:
- One of the reasons why wheat germ is good for the skin and considered one of those foods with anti-aging properties is the vitamin E it contains.
- It is true that at this moment there is a lot of vitamin E supplement that you could consume to meet your daily consumption, but still there is a better or more delicious way to comply with it but putting wheat germ as part of your daily menu.
16. Help Hair Growth:
- Do you have problems with hair loss? There are some factors that could cause that condition but mostly because your scalp is not getting enough nutrition or oxygen.
- Well, wheat germ is full of vitamins and minerals that will be beneficial for hair growth.
17. Promotes Skin Health:
- As rich in antioxidants, wheat germ provides a solution for healthy cell regeneration.
- In other words, your body will never lack stocks of new healthy cells, especially skin cells.
- That is why the consumption of wheat germ will give you a healthy and shiny skin.
- In addition, not only can wheat germ be consumed, but it can also be applied as a masker to remove dead skin cells from the surface.
Increase Body Performance with Wheat Germ:
18. Recommended for Athletes:
- Wheat germ is actually one of the foods that should be on an athlete’s diet menu.
- There are many reasons, but in summary, wheat germ is packed with vitamins, minerals, a healthy amount of carbohydrates that is essentially required by an athlete.
- In addition, fiber may help control weight gain.
19. Improves Resistance:
- Resistance is important not only for athletes, but for everyone.
- Resistance is what you need to do your daily activities, whether you are just a student, you need resistance to work, or if you are a worker, you surely need resistance to work as well.
- Wheat germ is the carbohydrate that produces energy, the increase in energy means that its resistance also increases.
20. Promote Stronger Muscles:
- What is needed to strengthen muscles? The answer is protein.
- Although you have done a lot of exercise in order to build a muscle, but without enough protein in your body, you will only lose your weight, but you are not getting the muscles you have been dreaming of.
- Wheat germ is a perfect diet to strengthen muscles.
21. Natural Energy Reinforcement:
- Wheat germ is an excellent source of carbohydrates.
- It is well known that carbohydrates are the source of energy, although many people now prefer to avoid them because they are closely related to weight gain.
- Actually, properties such as excess glucose or glucose stored in fat cells better known as glycogen is the reason behind weight gain.
- However, if you could make sure that all these properties are completely transformed into energy, carbohydrates are an excellent energy enhancer.
22. Increase Energy:
- As an energy stimulant, surely wheat germ is also good for improving endurance.
- If you are an athlete, endurance is everything and even if you are not an athlete, endurance could provide you with more benefits as more focus during work.
23. Improves Performance:
- It is not a myth that whole grains, whole wheat or wheat germ can make you feel more alive.
- Well, with one condition, you should consume it regularly in the appropriate amount.
- Try it and prove it yourself, after a few days you will feel that your performance has improved significantly.
Healthy Wheat Germ Diet:
24. Excellent Source of Antioxidants:
- Nowadays, when avoiding free radicals are getting harder and harder with all the contamination around them and then eating foods that are rich in antioxidants is a necessity.
- It is one of the solutions available to fight free radicals that enter your body.
- Wheat germ contains some antioxidants that the human body requires.
- As super nutrient rich foods and super delicious foods, adding wheat germ as part of your daily diet is not a problem.
25. Solution for Weight Loss:
- It is common knowledge that the consumption of whole grains as a source of daily energy is good for weight loss.
- The germ is one of three parts of whole grains, especially whole wheat, which is the richest in nutrients, making it perfect for those who have been in the weight loss program.
- It is because wheat contains a lot of nutrients that prevent your body from malnutrition and then as rich in fiber, it will press your appetite to eat snacks and make you feel full a little longer.
- In addition, the carbohydrate is enough to provide you with the energy needed to save the day.
26. Prevents Chronic Obesity:
- Obesity is not only a problem of weight gain, but it could lead to more serious conditions such as type 2 diabetes, in which insulin cannot function optimally.
- Wheat could deal with it effectively, since it is rich in fiber that could help in the weight loss program you have chosen by pressing your appetite and optimizing nutrient absorption.
27. Ideal for Diabetics:
- There is a compound in the body that is closely related to a chronic condition such as diabetes; It is homocysteine.
- Fortunately, this compound has a negative counterpart in the form of folic acid.
- Therefore, this type of acid is not only good for pregnant women, but also able to reduce the level of homocysteine.
- Meanwhile, there are many health benefits if you consume wheat germ daily.
- With all the wonderful benefits of wheat germs, don’t rush to put in the daily diet because there are some precautions that are supposed to be considered first.
- That even one of the healthiest foods in the world also has some precautions to keep in mind.
- It contains gluten
- With the popularity of gluten-free food products, many people thought that gluten was something they should avoid.
- Well, it is true that gluten is not as bad as you think since there are many benefits of gluten as well.
- However, gluten could be a problem for those suffering from gluten intolerance.
- Some digestive problems such as diarrhea, malabsorption and bloating can occur severely.
- It could lead to weight gain
There must be some confusion about whether wheat germ could help you lose weight or cause weight gain. Well, wheat is good for losing weight because it is so rich in fiber and able to help control appetite, so once you consume germ you will feel full longer and press your temptation to snack. Unfortunately, the combination of foods you consume should be your concern as well. For example, wheat germ is rich in carbohydrates and contains calories, if combined with carrot, which is also high in calories, it could cause excessive calorie intake. So be careful. They should be avoided by people allergic to wheat
- If you have been suffering from wheat allergies and then you should avoid wheat germ at all costs because the effect will be the same.
- For the same benefits, instead of consuming wheat germ you can choose other alternatives such as quinoa, brown rice or oatmeal.
- The health benefits of wheat germ are not the only reasons why people now prefer to consume wheat germ separately from whole wheat.
- Compared to whole wheat, wheat germ has other unique characteristics.
- The texture of the wheat is a bit grainy and the taste is a bit nutty.
- Therefore, due to its texture, wheat is not the direct substitute for flour, but can be mixed with baking flour, but it is recommended to add it to cereal or yogurt shakes.