The lemon is one of the most versatile and wonderful fruits we have. Lemon water has approximately 5 to 6% citric acid, which gives it a sour taste. It has several health benefits and is used in different recipes for cooking and baking. Apart from adding a sour taste to several dishes, preparing a lemon water drink is the best we can do using these wonderful fruits. Lemon water is a great refreshing drink, which helps us maintain calm and freshness. It is one of the most popular magic potions in the fitness community. The basic idea behind that is that «when we wake up in the morning and drink lemon water it helps alkalize our body and promotes healthy digestion. ” Therefore, it also improves overall health.
According to a scientific study1, adding lemon water not only quenches thirst better than any other beverage, but also nourishes our body with vitamins, minerals and trace elements that we absolutely need. It acts as a natural energy booster and helps eliminate toxins, regulate digestive and renal functions, forcing them to work as smoothly as possible. How to make water with lemon? And what are the great benefits of water with lemon? And what are the precautions that should be taken when consuming it? Read on to find out.
What is Lemon Water and How to Make It?
The combination of warm water and lemon is a natural energizer. Hydrates and oxygenates the body. It will refresh and revitalize you. Here is a simple method to make lemon water at home.
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (preferably organic lemon)
- 1 glass of warm water (or at room temperature)
- 1 slice of ginger (optional)
- Cut a lemon in half and squeeze the lemon juice directly into a glass of warm Luke water.
- You can add 1 teaspoon of honey if you have an intolerance to sour taste (but make sure your sugar level is normal).
- You can also add a slice of ginger to get a better taste.
- Your drink of fresh water with lemon is ready.
Lemon Water Benefits:
1. It Helps You Stay Hydrated:
First and foremost, when we sleep, we have not been drinking water for at least 8 hours. Giving the body adequate water when we wake up is a good way to hydrate our body. So, lemon water helps us stay hydrated and also helps limit the number of caffeinated drinks. It also increases the mood and energy level without any side effects that most caffeinated drinks have.
2. Help with Proper Digestion:
Lemon water stimulates healthy digestion by loosening toxins from the digestive tract. This helps relieve constipation and other digestive problems.
“It is a better natural cleanser and cleanses our system by washing the toxins of our body, in the easiest and most acceptable way”.
Not only digestion, but also improves liver function and general metabolism.
3. Help with Weight Loss:
Of course, consuming lemon water will not work as a miracle on your weight loss journey, but it is a healthy habit, which will help maintain your ideal body weight. As lemon contains pectin fiber, it helps in the fight against hunger and therefore helps in weight loss. Studies suggest that increasing water intake increases the metabolic rate by up to 30% in both men and women. And this effect starts after 10 minutes of water consumption and reaches a maximum level after 30-40 minutes.
4. It Helps Boost the Immune System:
It is a well-known fact that lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and that vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant. The juice of half a lemon gives you 20 percent of your daily requirement of vitamin C and only contains 8 calories. It strengthens our immune system and has a great role in preventing common infections (such as cough and cold).
5. Helps Prevent Oxidation:
According to the Cleveland Clinic, lemon contains phytonutrients. These phytonutrients have powerful antioxidant properties that prevent us from rusting or rusting from the inside out. It is good for bone health. Lemon is also a good source of calcium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and other minerals. Therefore, it helps in maintaining bone health. Potassium is good for nerves and brain cells.
6. Help Lower Hypertension:
Although there is no scientific evidence, it is believed that lemon helps eliminate stiffness in blood vessels and maintains blood flow, so if confirmed it would help reduce blood pressure and cholesterol level. It is also good for the nervous system, relieves tension and anxiety.
7. Helps Fight Skin Damage:
The antioxidant properties of lemon water are excellent for the skin. There is 30-40 mg of vitamin C per lemon. And vitamin C helps in the production of collagen. And so, it helps in the fight against skin damage. It also helps in blood detoxification and keeps the skin bright and fresh. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, so it helps in healing several as well.
8. Acts as a Single Source of Nutrition:
In addition to vitamin C, lemon is a rich source of B complex, niacin, flavonoids, iron, vitamin A and vitamin B-6. The consumption of lemon water in the morning gives our body a chance to absorb all the nutritional elements effectively and provides a boost of immunity to our body.
9. Acts as a Natural Mouth Cleaner:
Lemon has great acidic and antibacterial properties. This helps to freshen our breath and clean our mouth. It is a better natural cleaner. And they play a great role in relieving toothache and gingivitis.
Negative Effects of Lemon Water:
It can cause heartburn in some individuals. Especially in those who had a history of hyperacidity and heartburn. It can affect tooth enamel if proper precautions are not taken.
Tips or Warnings Before Consuming it:
Here is a list of precautions that should be followed when consuming it.
- Drink water with lemon in the morning; Wait 30 minutes before drinking any caffeinated beverage or breakfast. Early morning consumption is the best for maximum benefit.
- Do not use bottled lemon juice. It may contain certain preservatives (such as sulfate), which can cause allergic reaction in susceptible individuals and also has less nutritional value.
- Use a drinking straw to consume it. It can affect the enamel of your teeth. After drinking it rinse with a little filtered water to make sure that the lemon acid does not destroy the tooth enamel.
- Never drink cold ice water with lemon. It can cause cold and respiratory conditions in the individual in question. Always use warm water or water at room temperature to make lemon water.
Have you experienced the great benefits of lemon water? Share them with us below in the comments area.